The Victorian Government has announced an extension to the moratorium on evictions, rent relief for eligible tenants, suspension of rental increases, and a continued dispute resolution process. The moratorium also made changes to how a tenant or landlord may end a tenancy during the moratorium period.
That moratorium, introduced in late March to protect tenants suffering financial distress because of the pandemic, was due to expire on September 29, but has now been extended until December 31.
Land tax relief for eligible residential and commercial landlords is also being extended, and the potential discount has doubled from 25 per cent to 50 per cent.
Brief overview of changes:
- $60 million hardship fund to provide up to $3,000 for small commercial landlords per tenancy
- Rental Relief Grant payments increased to $3,000 for eligible residential tenants and landlords
- Land tax discount doubled from 25 to 50 per cent for eligible landlords
- $600,000 funding for advocacy groups to help support vulnerable tenants
- Rent relief provided by commercial landlords to match tenants’ fall in turnover